Recipe for a School Library as a Place of Literacy and Learning
Quote retrieved from here.
What is a Library? How would I describe the perfect Learning Commons? How would I know that the Learning Commons at our school is heading in the right direction? How can the LLC help our school achieve its goals? What do I need to do to help our LLC become the heart/hub of our school? These are some of the questions that kept popping in my head as I watched the videos and read through the assigned readings this week.
Loertscher et al, describe the LLC as “the hub of the school, (a place) where exemplary learning and teaching are showcased, where professional development, teaching and learning experimentation and action research happen.” (Loertscher, 2008). Hayes further adds that “our school libraries, at the physical and virtual heart of the school, are ideally positioned to lead and support educational transformation, provided that we are willing to consider new ways of working that better support our students and teachers.” (Hayes, 2014). Even the Canadian Library Association clearly states that “the library learning commons is the physical and virtual collaborative learning hub of the school.” (Leading Learning, 2014)
I have always agreed with the statements above. To me, the Library Learning Commons is more than just a place to get information. It is a place of exploration and learning, a place of wonder where your imagination can reach unimaginable levels, a haven where you are free to be yourself and explore to your heart’s content.
image retrieved from here.
But how do we get to that? Are there any steps we need to take into consideration before we even begin the planning stages?

According to Erikson and Markuson, there are many factors we need take into consideration when planning to create what they call a “well-designed learning environment”. These factors include: “the (Learning Commons) must be learner-centered, safe, comfortable, accessible, flexible, and equitable.” (Erikson et al, 2007). They also add that “a well-designed school library facilitates an effective library program (as it provides) both an aesthetically compelling and an intellectually engaging place for students that motivates them to be in the library.” (Erikson et al, 2007). Beirut also emphasizes the importance on making libraries a place kids want to be in. During his TED talk video, “How to design a library that makes kids want to read,” he argues that kids are bored with old libraries, and we not only need new logos but also a new “atmosphere” to get them excited about coming in and learning. You can watch the video here. Moreover, our libraries need to be places where the whole school community are encouraged to collaborate with one another. Hayes says that “collaboration among teachers (and students) has been identified as one of the key ingredients for successful school improvement…when school teams collaborate to clarify the relationship between design and the effect on achievement, we witness positive and constructive change.” (Hayes, 2014).
The readings have also made me realize that creating a Learning Commons takes more than just a plan, it needs to take into account school goals as well as a lot of collaboration and communication. Without knowing what our goals are as a school, we simply cannot create a place with the idea that it will be the “heart of the school.” How can we create a place everyone will feel welcomed in if we do not take into account what the school community needs? Our school goals will only be met if the school community work as a team. With that in mind, we need to make sure we create a Learning Commons Leadership Team whose members represent the entire school community. Each key player, along with the TL as the leader, will bring in valuable knowledge and expertise to the planning table.
There are many more things to consider when creating a LLC, this is why I have created what I consider a good recipe for a school library as a place for literacy and learning.
I wanted to make it easy to follow, so I decided to use a program called Animoto. This program turns your presentations into colourful videos. It’s very simple to use and it’s free. You can purchase certain packages if you wish to add more templates, photos, etc. but it is not necessary. Originally, I was going to use Doodly, and to be honest I started creating my recipe there, but then found this program and decided to give it a try. I’m glad I did! It is very user-friendly and easy to teach students to use.
So without further ado, I present to you my Recipe! Click on the link below to access, make sure to use the “Fullscreen option” to see it better. You can also pause it if it is too fast to read the information.
What do you think? Is there anything else I should add to the recipe? I would love to know what your thoughts are.
Until next time,
The Duchess of Bookington
References:
Beirut, Michael. (June 23, 2017). How to design a library that makes kids want to read. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsA_JTeHJ6A
Canadian Library Association. (2014). Leading learning: Standards of practice for school library learning commons in Canada. (Links to an external site.) Ottawa:ON (p.4-25)
Doodly Whiteboard Animation Software & Video Creator. (n.d.). Www.doodly.com. Retrieved September 20, 2022, from https://www.doodly.com
Erikson, R., & Markuson, C. B. (2007). Designing a school library media center for the future. American Library Association.
Free Video Maker | Create & Edit Your Videos Easily. (n.d.). Animoto.com. https://animoto.com/k/welcome
Hayes, T. (2014) Library to learning commons. Retrieved from
http://www.cea-ace.ca/education-canada/article/library-learning-commons
How to design a library that makes kids want to read | Michael Bierut. (n.d.). Www.youtube.com. Retrieved September 20, 2022, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsA_JTeHJ6A&t=746s
Kirk, A. B. (n.d.). Leading Learning in the School Library Learning Commons | By the Brooks: Anita Brooks Kirkland. Retrieved September 19, 2022, from https://www.bythebrooks.ca/leading-learning-in-the-school-library-learning-commons/
No comments:
Post a Comment