This week, I will be discussing ways I can help my colleagues further expand their ICT professional needs.
I must be honest and say that this idea terrifies me! Why you may ask? Well, for starters some colleagues have more experience than I do in the tech department. Secondly, I need to come up with a program that will not only help them improve their tech skills but will also need to be flexible and at a “just right” level for every teacher at my school.
This should be as easy as saying “apple” because after all, teachers are lifelong learners, right?
Sadly, is not that simple…the digital world we currently live in keeps changing and we as educators need to stay on top of that to help our students navigate these crazy waters. This is overwhelming to say the least…exciting but overwhelming. Just in the past four weeks I have learned about so many different apps and programs I can use in the classroom and library that my head spins just thinking about them! I have a plan to improve my own ICT skills but how can I apply the same plan to help my colleagues?
Alfred Bork wrote a very interesting article in 2001 called “The Dilemma of Teacher Training.” He explains why “training teachers is a common problem with education.” This statement caught me by surprise because, like I said before, we are lifelong learners so it should be easy right?! He points out that a lot of the issues come from creating programs based on old learning traditions. What does this mean? For starters it means that by the time we start learning about a new program, a new update is being released with more features that also need to be learned . How then can we keep up with this ever-changing tech current? How can I help my colleagues stay on top of these changes without overwhelming or boring them?
Furthermore, Miller & Bass point out that in order for Librarians to be a building leader, we need to make sure we work towards "empowering (our) teachers...(even if that means) pushing them to learn and try things outside of their comfort zone." (Miller & Bass, 2019). It sure is a lot to think about because as I said before, I want to help my colleagues without looking like a pushy/maniac/scary librarian!
Keeping all I have learned in mind, I have come up with a plan which I think might help me get things started…
1)Communication: this is by far the most important step to take before even thinking about ICT workshops. Miller & Bass say that as librarians we need to "make a concerted effort to be an observer and listener, (that way we will) be more effective in knowing what (our) teachers know, and what they need to know." (Miller & Bass 2019). I want to know what my colleagues need when it comes to tech skills. I want to make it easier for them and worth their time. As we all know, teachers are always busy, so I need to make sure their time is spent wisely. I will probably start by using some of our “Library minutes” during our monthly staff meeting to ask what new skills they would like to learn. I won’t ask them to give me their answers right away, but will give them a day or so to think about it before approaching them again. I will create little 1-2 minute Doodly videos showing them some of the trendy apps out there and how they can help them in their classroom. I can also share monthly/weekly tech tips with them. Once I see where everyone is at, I will start creating small group workshops and offer them during our Pro-D days or as short lunch sessions (I will add an incentive because I know we all like a small treat!)
The video above is an example of something I could use to introduce Doodly to our staff during our monthly meeting. It is less than 4 minutes long and it points out the benefits of using this program in our classrooms.
2)Presentations: I will consider this my sneak “attack.” I will offer teachers to come to their classrooms to show students some of the cool new features we are working on in our website. Programs like Google Slides or Book Creator can spark interest not only in students but also teachers. I can offer to teach them how to use the program on their own time or even teach the whole class how to use them in weekly sessions.
3)In-School Workshops: Offering some pro-D workshops like “How to create a cartoon video to introduce new concepts,” “How to use Google Slides to create brochures or magazine articles,” or “How to create an interactive novel study using Book Creator.” I would also like to organize my own version of “Lunch Geek Squad,” where I would offer my tech services to my colleagues, perhaps “prep techs” where we can book one of their prep times to help them navigate new programs. So many possibilities!
4)Promote, promote, promote: I find this to also be very important! You want to let your colleagues know what you are planning to do. Teachers are planners by nature so it’s important to keep them in the loop so they can plan accordingly. How can you do that without sending never-ending emails?! Subtle marketing is key! Make posters and put them in staff bathrooms, office board, message boards in front of the library, staff room and by their mailboxes. Mention your plans in staff meetings and make sure to tell them that I will work around their schedule. Post it on the school website, twitter account, Instagram, and Facebook. Maybe send sneak peeks of what I am planning on doing, helpful resources, etc.
5)Open Door Policy: I will make sure to always have my doors open to anyone who needs help! I know I am no expert, but I can certainly do my research, learn it, and then help them, or I can enlist the help of someone who can.
My mantra is “Where there is a will, there is a way!” If there is anything I can do to help my school community, I will try my best to help.
Do you have any other ideas or tips? I would love to hear them...until next time!
Miller, S., & Bass, W. L. (2019). Leading from the library : help your school community thrive in the digital age. International Society For Technology In Education.
Tollett, John R.,. (2001). Educational Leadership. [SITE 2001 Section]. Retrieved on February 18, 2022 from https://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED457825
I love your idea of show-casing digital tools by sharing a video clip during your staff meeting. It's a quick way to give a brief overview of several tools in a short time! What video making tool/app do you prefer? I also appreciate your idea of sharing ideas through the website or with posters in the staff room rather than through regular emails. I feel like I am being annoying sometimes when I send emails, especially if it is a situation where I have to send reminders. It can be challenging to promote our role and ideas without being overbearing. Because teachers are so busy, I find one email is rarely effective and I have to find a balance. I believe going into teachers' classrooms to teach a tech tool is one of the most effective ways to reach students and staff. It takes the pressure off of teachers and provides them with a hands-on opportunity to explore the new tool alongside students.
Hi Rachelle, I have been toying with Doodly this week crating little videos and just learning the ropes. I recently learned about creating trailers and movies using iMovie. I was so surprised to learn how simple it is! I also feel like i am annoying everyone by sending lots of emails. I personally get a bit annoyed when I hear the never ending "ding" of new emails in my computer while teaching. I agree that we need to find the right balance of communication with our staff so as to not be too imposing!
I completely agree with you that communication is the most important step to take when starting to teach ICT skills. There is no point in you putting a lot of work into developing a presentation on a topic that no one wants to learn about! Teaching new programs to staff without overwhelming them is also a key point. When there are always new programs coming out it can feel like a never-ending cycle, especially to those teachers who are tech hesitant to begin with. You have some great ideas to reach your staff! The short videos at staff meetings would be fantastic, and I especially love your “sneak attack” idea! The students will be asking their teacher to let them keep working on the new things you showed them, and it can snowball from there!
Thanks Jodi! I can relate with your comment about tech hesitant teachers as I am one of them! I really want to be able to create something that will be able to help everyone no matter the level they are at...hopefully soon!
Hi Karla, Thanks for posting about Doodly! It looks like I can add another page to my toolbox once I learn more about it. I too like your idea of creating quick videos to present the new tools to your teachers. There is no better way to convince the teachers of the effectiveness of a good tool then to use it in your own presentation/teaching to them!
I completely agree with you Kate! The best strategy is to show them how effective a tool is by giving them a concrete example to look at. I'm so happy I was able to help you add a new page to your amazing toolbox! Thanks again for sharing it with me!
This is a thoughtful and comprehensive post. You share many strong ideas here. I love the idea of the sneak “attack”. I agree that by going in to teach the students something, you gain the opportunity to teach the teachers too!
Hi Karla,
ReplyDeleteI love your idea of show-casing digital tools by sharing a video clip during your staff meeting. It's a quick way to give a brief overview of several tools in a short time! What video making tool/app do you prefer? I also appreciate your idea of sharing ideas through the website or with posters in the staff room rather than through regular emails. I feel like I am being annoying sometimes when I send emails, especially if it is a situation where I have to send reminders. It can be challenging to promote our role and ideas without being overbearing. Because teachers are so busy, I find one email is rarely effective and I have to find a balance. I believe going into teachers' classrooms to teach a tech tool is one of the most effective ways to reach students and staff. It takes the pressure off of teachers and provides them with a hands-on opportunity to explore the new tool alongside students.
Hi Rachelle,
DeleteI have been toying with Doodly this week crating little videos and just learning the ropes. I recently learned about creating trailers and movies using iMovie. I was so surprised to learn how simple it is!
I also feel like i am annoying everyone by sending lots of emails. I personally get a bit annoyed when I hear the never ending "ding" of new emails in my computer while teaching. I agree that we need to find the right balance of communication with our staff so as to not be too imposing!
I completely agree with you that communication is the most important step to take when starting to teach ICT skills. There is no point in you putting a lot of work into developing a presentation on a topic that no one wants to learn about!
ReplyDeleteTeaching new programs to staff without overwhelming them is also a key point. When there are always new programs coming out it can feel like a never-ending cycle, especially to those teachers who are tech hesitant to begin with.
You have some great ideas to reach your staff! The short videos at staff meetings would be fantastic, and I especially love your “sneak attack” idea! The students will be asking their teacher to let them keep working on the new things you showed them, and it can snowball from there!
Thanks Jodi!
DeleteI can relate with your comment about tech hesitant teachers as I am one of them! I really want to be able to create something that will be able to help everyone no matter the level they are at...hopefully soon!
Hi Karla, Thanks for posting about Doodly! It looks like I can add another page to my toolbox once I learn more about it. I too like your idea of creating quick videos to present the new tools to your teachers. There is no better way to convince the teachers of the effectiveness of a good tool then to use it in your own presentation/teaching to them!
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you Kate! The best strategy is to show them how effective a tool is by giving them a concrete example to look at. I'm so happy I was able to help you add a new page to your amazing toolbox!
DeleteThanks again for sharing it with me!
This is a thoughtful and comprehensive post. You share many strong ideas here. I love the idea of the sneak “attack”. I agree that by going in to teach the students something, you gain the opportunity to teach the teachers too!
ReplyDelete