Saturday, 26 March 2022

Target Audience - Who/What/How/Why?

 

Final Vision Project Inquiry Blog #2: Learner Considerations

On my previous blog, I discussed some of the ideas I have for my final vision project.   As you recall, I want to create something that will help our students complete the upcoming Reading Link Challenge.  My final product will be a combination of different apps and programs linked through a virtual library that all participants will have access to, whether it be at school or at home. 

Before I get to work though, I need to consider one of the most important factors: my target audience.  Who am I making this for?  What are their needs?  How can I help them navigate through the challenge not only at school but at home? 

There are so many things to consider, and all are equally important if I want this project to be useful not only for this challenge but for future ones.  

So let me begin by asking, what is a target audience and why is it so important?

Photo credit: Keyword Connects

According to marketing research expert Michael O’Neill, a target audience is “a specific group of people (or consumers) interested in a service or product you are providing.  This group of people may be dictated by age, gender, income, location, interests, or a myriad of other factors.”  Determining your target audience is crucial as it helps you make informed decisions when creating something.  

So, who am I creating my Final Vision Project for?  In other words, who is my target audience?

Bitmoji Image


My plan is to create a virtual library that will help all students in grades 4 and 5 wishing to participate in this year’s Reading Link Challenge.  I would also like their parents and caregivers to have the opportunity to be part of this event. It sure sounds simple when you group them like this but that is not the case.  This group of students and their families can be further divided into other categories such as: ELL  students (English Language Learners), Students reading at below grade level, students with various learning disabilities, strong readers, etc.  

I know that a big deterrent in previous events has been the fact that participants must read an average of one book per week.  This can be easy for some of our students but for others not so much.  

Keeping that in mind, what are some of the tools I’m planning on using to help everyone?

how can I help

1) Links to audiobooks/read alouds: having access to a read aloud will help my students whose first language is not English.  As a previous ELL student myself, I found reading to be less intimidating if I was listening to someone else read, rather than reading it myself.  This also helped me learn the correct pronunciation of many words and made reading comprehension easier.  Audiobooks/read alouds also allow students to go at their own pace making reading more enjoyable as they don’t feel rushed.

2) Access to the NNELS (National Network for Equitable Library Services) and CELA (Centre for Equitable Library Access):  these two services provide free accessible formats to anyone with a print disability (anything that prevents a person from reading conventional print).  Students will be able to access these services with their library card number.  If they do not have one, I will provide all the necessary information to get one.

3) Access to apps with features that will support all learners:  while researching user-friendly apps to use for my project, I came across a learning framework called UDL, Universal Design for Learning.  This framework uses guidelines which help make learning inclusive and transformative for everyone.  The video below explains what UDL is and how teachers can use it to maximize students’ learning.


I mentioned last week that one of the main programs I’m planning on using is Book Creator.  One of the main reasons is that it has many built-in features that will provide support to all learners.  Some of these features are voice-to-text, audio record, read-to-me, etc. 

Photo Credit: Brian Manning.

This Vision Project will certainly present many challenges as I navigate through all the digital tools available out there.  I know it will be frustrating and scary at times as I step out of my comfort zone to create something I have not done before.  No matter what comes my way, I will just keep telling myself WHY I’m doing this, why do I want to create this project?

Simple, I want my students to feel proud of themselves and to know that success is at their fingertips when surrounded by the right tools.  I want to instill in my students a love of reading and to not feel intimidated when they see a page full of words.  I want to give every student the chance to gain confidence and to take charge of their learning.  I know this may sound like an impossible task and that maybe I’m taking on too much at once, but my students are worth it.

Do you have any suggestions or ideas?  I would love to hear them!

Stay tune,



The Duchess of Bookington



References:

About Universal Design for Learning. (n.d.). CAST. Retrieved March 22, 2022, from https://www.cast.org/impact/universal-design-for-learning-udl#.WvZstlMvwdV

BetterLesson. (n.d.). Meeting the Needs of All Learners: A New Learning Domain. Blog.betterlesson.com. https://blog.betterlesson.com/meeting-the-needs-of-all-learners-a-new-learning-domain

CELA. (n.d.). Celalibrary.ca. Retrieved March 22, 2022, from https://celalibrary.ca

Evolution, M. (n.d.). Steps to Find Your Target Audience | Marketing Evolution. Www.marketingevolution.com. https://www.marketingevolution.com/marketing-essentials/target-audience#:~:text=What%20Is%20a%20Target%20Audience

How to reach the 4 key types of audience member at every event. (2015, June 12). Cramer. https://www.cramer.com/insights/types-of-audiences/

My Classroom. (2017, January 16). Brian Manning E Portfolio. https://brianmanningblog.wordpress.com/technology-and-learning-statement/

National Network for Equitable Library Service (NNELS). (n.d.). Nnels.ca. Retrieved March 22, 2022, from https://nnels.ca

UDL At A Glance. (n.d.). Www.youtube.com. Retrieved March 22, 2022, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDvKnY0g6e4&t=88s




5 comments:

  1. Hi Karla,

    What a great way to set your students up for success! I love that you have taken into consideration students' various learning needs so they can participate meaningfully in the upcoming reading challenge. Thank you for sharing the video on Universal Design for Learning. This term was new to me and I can see how you are being proactive through your final vision project to minimize barriers as suggested in the video. I look forward to seeing your final project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachelle!
      In a perfect world, I would really like to break all barriers to instill a love of reading and try to help as many kids as possible :). Universal Design for Learning was new to me as well and learned about it while researching Book Creator...I do hope my final vision project comes out the way I am picturing it in my head!

      Delete
  2. Hi Karla, this is going to be great! I really love and believe in UDL and you have set your students up for success by using such an inclusive tool that will definitely make them feel proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are engaging in some strong work here. I appreciate your intentionality and the way that you are carefully considering the needs of your target audience. I think the result will be some very meaningful work! This is an ambitious project. Don’t feel as if you have have a completed artifact. You can always share your plans for future development as part of your final blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have taken great care to include a multitude of learners at a multitude of levels. I commend you for that. I love how you said that you don't want students to feel intimidated when they see a page full of words. It's so important to take care of those who reading doesn't come easily for.

    ReplyDelete

Theme 3: Reference Materials

  Balancing Reference Sources In The Learning Commons What are reference materials?  In a nutshell, reference materials are a variety of mul...